Monday, March 3, 2008

Lombard by G.L. Pease
Tin Description:
Named for the famed winding, twisting street in San Francisco. Lombard starts with a base of red and bright Virginias. It is then enhanced with American “condimental” leaf, including an angel’s share of perique. The twist in this Lombard? A delicate breath of Cyprus Latakia is added for a whisper of smokiness and a slightly deeper flavor. A gentle introduction to Latakia for the Virginia smoker, or just a delightful change of pace.

This is a very unusual but very nice Virginia based blend. The tin states that Lombard is a delightful change of pace, and that is exactly the way I would classify it. I can’t think of another tobacco out there like it.
The Perique and Latakia are used as accompaniments to the exceptional quality Virginias that we expect in a Pease blend. This is pulled of nicely. I love the way I can taste the Latakia without it overpowering everything else. So many times Latakia will just take over a blend and thus becomes monochromatic. I don’t mean to imply that I don’t enjoy Latakia heavy blends, because I do. What I do want to say is it is refreshing to find a blend that uses it as a complement so nicely. The perique is also used discretely. It just seems to touch the Virginias without squaring off with them. They never compete, but instead work together beautifully. Teamwork is the name of the game with the three tobaccos making up Lombard.
I suspect Lombard will be under powered for some, and possibly a gateway to more full English blends for those who have not yet made that journey.

No comments: