Saturday, March 8, 2008

Carlos Torano Virtuoso

Awhile back I participated in a blind tasting with some online friends and found it to be both fun and informative. The way it worked was I mailed three un-banded cigars to a friend and someone else sent me 3 un-banded cigars. The price range and number of cigars were agreed on earlier, and we all sent the bands along as well in envelopes numbered to correspond with its original cigar, so we could find out the identity after the cigar was rated.
The following is the tasting notes from my blind evaluation of the Carlos Torano Virtuoso.

Robusto sized beauty.
Nice looking dark brown wrapper but I would not call it maduro, because it has too much of a red hue to be maduro. The wrapper looks more like and Ecuadorian sun grown. The surface texture looks smooth but there is a very fine grainy feel, and one prominent vein and that is about it.
Cap is smooth and round, nicely done, and it clips beautifully with a quick snap of my xikar cutter.
The construction looks and feels perfect; a little squeeze confirms a firm bunch with no soft spots. The top third of the cigar seems to be a little larger ring than the middle.
Lights easily and stays lit. Burns straight and needed no touchups.
The coal was slightly cone shaped under a very nice looking firm white ash.
The draw was just the easy side of perfect.
The aroma seemed a little biting to me but my friend said that it smelled fantastic and wanted to know what I was smoking. I told him I have no idea, but we will find out later.
I would classify this as a medium flavor and body cigar. Not as full as I normally smoke that’s for sure. I am pretty sure that I have never smoked this cigar before. It most reminds me of the Famous Nicaraguan 3000 in flavor. I know it is not the Famous Nic. 3k because of the shape and this cigar seems to be higher quality. It is more along the lines of the Oliva Bold O, a cigar which I’ve not smoked in a long time.
After finishing the cigar and jotting down the tasting notes I opened the envelope containing the band and was surprised to find that I had smoked this cigar before but in the Churchill size. It was a Carlos Torano Virtuoso. I was totally surprised as I didn’t care for the Churchill at all, and didn’t even smoke half of it before tossing it. This Robusto was far superior having much more body and flavor.
Why don’t you try a blind tasting with some of your cigar buddies it can be a lot of fun.

No comments: