Saturday, March 1, 2008

Black Pearl Rojo

Black Pearl Rojo Super Toro 6 X 54
I find this to be a very attractive Colorado red wrapper. It has many small veins that do not really detract from the appearance.
This cigar has been sitting in my humidor for over a year.
Well constructed sturdy cap which shaved perfectly with a double blade cutter.
The cigar smells spicy pre light. Almost a perfect cylindrical shape rolling nicely in the hand. No soft spots and somewhat heavy in the hand.
Fine pre light draw exhibiting less spice than I expected given the spicy pre light aroma.
Nice even burn that stays burning. Produces a solid grey ash that reveals a small cone burning when the ash drops. Easy draw and pleasant aroma.
The Black Pearl performed well up to this point. This is where my disappointment started. I expected much more because of my fondness of the Robusto and Toro sizes of this cigar. The Super Toro exhibited very little of the strength and flavor that I get with the smaller sizes.
Overall quality is good but I found the flavor to be bland and lackluster. I gave a couple of these to a friend and he loved the one he smoked. I can’t help but wonder if I let these rest too long. I aged a box of the robusto for about a year and they were great.
If the Rocky Patel Edge is too much for you, you might enjoy this alternative. As for me I will move on to something else. When I opt for a Black Pearl it will definitely be the Robusto.
Thanks for reading.
Scott.

No comments: