Saturday, March 1, 2008

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Ennerdale Flake

Ennerdale Tin Description.
Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to "carry the flavor" in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavors) A background flavor of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavors, vanilla, and the special 'English type' flavors which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.

When I lit a bowl of this while sitting on the deck with my daughter she said the aroma reminded her of “clean laundry”. That didn’t surprise me as the “soapy” Lakeland flavors and aroma are prevalent at the startup of a bowl.
Ennerdale is an exceptionally well behaved tobacco. Nice flakes that rubout with little to no effort. This tobacco burns so well that you don’t even need to rub it out. I tried just folding the flakes and stuffing in the bowl and it worked fine. Very easy to light and keeps burning. Burns cool and slow just as you would expect from G&H flakes.
The floral notes are much more pronounced in Ennerdale than with Bob’s Chocolate Flake (which is another G&H favorite). They can be overpowering at first. But they do settle down nicely. It is easy to taste the high quality tobaccos after the quieting of the florals.
This tobacco is a bit too floral for me to smoke often, but I do reach for it on occasion to satisfy the occasional craving that hits me once in a while.
This is one tobacco that simply must be tried. I suggest finishing the tin before making final evaluations .I have been through two tins and I still don’t really know how I feel about this tobacco. You simply will have to try it for yourself. I do want to encourage you to try it though. Mostly because on rare occasions nothing else seems to satisfy.



.

No comments: